Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: The quintessence of Leica photography? - Long response -
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 23:39:54 -0400

> The "craft" of photography cannot be practiced or duplicated with a
> scanner, Photoshop, and an inkjet.

Stop bath looks to be a little too strong tonight, eh? (that was a joke for
the humor impaired)

Go look up photography and craft in the dictionary.  "The taking and
processing of photographs", "skill" (OEED).  It does not say HOW the
photographs are processed, and craft can apply to ANYthing one is skilled
in.   Using a scanner, Photoshop and an inkjet IS processing of
photographs, and someone who is skilled in using those tools is 'crafting'.
 Whether you consider it so, or not, it is.

> It is not simple. It is not
> "point and shoot." It requires visualization and thought. It requires a
> thorough knowledge of the processes involved. It requires work, which is
> where many people give up.

Just because one uses a scanner, PS and an inkjet does not mean one just
"points and shoots".
Everything else you said about 'visualizing', 'knowledge', 'learning',
'technique' bla bla bla. all apply to any form of visual communication, and
certainly to the post processing of film images, whether it be wet darkroom
or scanning, PhotoShop and inkjet printing.

> The digital process has solved this for those folks. Simply point and
> shoot. Scan if it's not already digital. Fix-up and manipulate in
> Photoshop. Print a pleasing inkjet. No photography craft involved. Just
> move the pixels to where they look good and be done with it.

Your view of digital processing is quite misguided if you believe that is
all there is to it.  It would be nice if (possibly before espousing
additionally on this topic) you take the time to understand it, because
clearly you don't.  It is much more than you give it credit for, and you
are doing it a great injustice.

> All of you real photographers out there, those versed in the "craft" of
> photography

Sounds to me like you saying anyone who uses a scanner, PS and an inkjet
are not  "real" photographer, nor versed in the "craft" of photography?

> PS... this is not a denigration of those folks that have no possibility
of
> having and using a darkroom, and therefore are forced to go digital. I
feel
> for them and would indeed go that route myself, if I were forced to.

Then it IS a denigration of those of us who have chosen to not use a wet
darkroom, and use a scanner, PhotoShop and inkjet?

This post has some great stories and points, but it sure would come across
more 'honestly passionate' if you left the insulting statements.  Have at
your 'craft' all you want, and I certainly wouldn't insult you for it, but
I feel it's really inappropriate for you to tell others what they do is
just 'point and shoot' and they aren't 'real photographers' and what they
do is not a 'craft' because they use a scanner, PS and an inkjet for post
processing their negatives.

Your post is equally as insulting as someone saying that a Leica and 35mm
film is just to small to do any worthwhile work with...  Some are of that
opinion...and in fact, I was, until I got my Leica...but I didn't insult
people who did things contrary to the way I though was the right way to do
things.  Because so many people heralded the Leica, I bought one, and am
very happy I did.  Some people think no one is a 'real' photographer, much
less a 'craftsman', unless s/he is using an LF camera...and sheet film,
much less a 35mm rangefinder...

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> ([Leica] Re: WAS: The quint of Leica photog? - GET A LIFE!)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> ([Leica] WAS: The quint of Leica photog? - GET A LIFE!)