Subject: Re: [Leica] The quintessence of Leica photography?
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:07:45 -0400

To each his own, Erwin. We all respect your dedication to the craft and
clearly you outline the space into which digital photography should expand.
But careful when ascribing ignorance of or lack of care about photographic
truths to those who output digitally: there are a host of grain sniffers
amongst us.

I would guess that most of us started out (like me) as silverprint snobs...
then had to eat our words when our Epsons produced prints that simply
'looked better' than our darkroom work. I personally had to go away and
rearrange my preconceptions.

There is something 'going on' here, as Dan says, unless you dismiss digital
prints as the photographic equivalent of junk food, which they can be, but
aren't always.

Personally, I think Oddmund, whom I never encountered, was dead dead wrong
about the P&S thing for street work. You would expect me to say this of
course, but SP is demanding technically of both the photographer and the
camera because (this is what I find anyway) you are operating at the
envelope the whole time. Of course if you zone focus and shoot 1/125 at f/8
then this isn't true... but good SP is about more than that... just as a
Leica is about more than its lenses.

The very best pictures I've taken, as well as being decent street shots, are
in the centre of the sweet spot, technically speaking. That's when you know
you're using a leica. And you can see it in a digital print perfectly
clearly.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com