Subject: RE: [Leica] Exposing Tri-X at 320
From: BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:31:22 -0400

	[BOB KRAMER]  Mark, I overexpose the film because the shadows on the
negatives were black and void of detail.  Only way to get the detail is to
overexpose, or change metering technique.  I meter with an incident meter,
so I overexpose to compensate for the lack of shadow detail that resulted
from the metering technique and whatever other variables (development
technique, equipment idiosyncrasies and calibrations, etc.) are also thrown
into the mix.  I could of course use a spot meter and count zones to place
the shadows where I want them, but this is not very practical when shooting
fast on the street.

	Plus, I am looking to reduce contrast, not increase it.  The
Summicron lens is a contrast monster that must be tamed!  The
underdevelopment brings the contrast back in line.  Do what it takes to get
shadow detail and highlights that aren't blocked, I say!

	BK