Subject: [none]
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:28:57 +0200

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:14:42 -0400
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Subject: RE: [Leica] home b&w processing
> Forget digital cameras it's these film scanners which are the key tool in
your output!.

Well said!

> I scan my 35mm Nikon LS-2000 and having had it for 9 months there is not
a new
> unit out there that as "taken over."

How about the Polaroid SprintScan 4000 (4000, er, true DPI)?
<<<<<
Does anybody really know what is true or not true DPI? I use the LS2000 and
sometimes the silver fast software which (apparently) drives the stepper
motor to achieve 5400 dpi, but is it true?
For me the real selling point of the Nikon was the bulk slide loader. Add
that to automated web gallery generation via Photoshop 5.5 and you can
scan, catalogue and burn to CD 100+ slides a day - while doing something
else for most of the time.
I tried the Genuine Fractals demo download recently, but was pretty
disappointed by the artefacts, although if you're doing a mural they might
not be visible.
Even at 2700dpi you can see the grain on faster films.
Rob (one of those badly organised posts!).
Robert Appleby
V. Bellentani 36
41100 MO
Italy