Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 or R7
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 08:42:25 -0700

Miro Jurcevic wrote:

> If there was a popular SLR Leica of this era ..... would it be the R8 or R7.
> I find qualities in both cameras that are practical.<<<<<<<<

hi Miro,

This is probably one of the toughie  questions for R camera users to
answer, certainly those who've worked both R7 & R8's, as they're almost
equal in stature.

I swore by my R7's, worked them hard and they never failed me under any
of the tough assignment conditions of weather, use, airplane rides or
whatever vehicle bouncing along the way. I didn't think there could be
much better, that is until I took in hands the first R8!  And I found a
new meaning to the ultimate camera for my hands, eye and workings.

Yep others experienced difficulties with some of them, however, it was
my good fortune to  receive perfect cameras in the ones I use.  And once
you add the motor and grip the R8 becomes a dream to use and handle.

Please remember, these are my opinions from use and accustomed to
working two or three R cameras at the same time from shoulders and neck.
 And not from a one camera, once in awhile picture taking spree.

I feel the R8 is the balance camera to the M6, in other words they
compliment each other like no other R -M combination , IMHO.

Cameras, like many other choices in life, are "the most popular ever"
determined by each user, as opinions vary so broadly that it's a tough
call to say which is the most popular.  Is it the most popular by
numbers sold, user opinion, critics or just plain old everyone who has
used it loves it?

I still have a love for the R7, although minor.  But in reality the R8
without question is the most popular for me in success of what it feels
like, ergonomics and functions. As looks have never been a consideration
at any time in a camera, that's merely for those who like pretty toys to
look at and not use.

So you may find you have to answer your own question, as there is
considerable personal involvement in making the choice.  Mines the R8
hands down.
ted

Message from "Miro Jurcevic" <miroj@ozemail.com.au> ([Leica] R8 or R7)