Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 or R7
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 24 Jul 2000 07:37:23 -0700

On Mon, 24 July 2000, "Miro Jurcevic" wrote:

> If there was a popular SLR Leica of this era ..... would it be the R8 or R7.
> I find qualities in both cameras that are practical.

Miro,

The primary advantages of the R7 IMHO are its smaller size and initial reliability.  I like the ergonomic design of the R8 much better.  The R8 can be used as a manual camera just as easily as in an automatic mode.  Try using the R7 with winder or motor plus handgrip and you'll see what I mean.  The R8's viewfinder is outstanding, with lots of info, unobtrusive yet readily available and easy to see, and the viewscreen is nearly as bright and easy to focus as a Leicaflex SL's viewscreen, not only in the center but in to the corners as well.

You've probably read of many of the first R8 cameras having reliability problems.  Buy a new one, or used with a good guarantee.  Once you get used to the R8 you'll appreciate the larger size, especially with long lenses.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!