Subject: [Leica] Mike Johnston, Bokeh, Pentax now: LF (OT?)
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 12:20:49 EDT

In a message dated 07/23/2000 12:18:38 PM, Mikiro wrote:

<<I for one am seriously considering "regression" to a light-weight minimum
4x5 system.  Setting a large format camera on a tripod would be most similar
to what I did when I used to paint.>>

Mikiro,

That is just what I've done recently.  I have a 4x5 field camera and a couple
of lenses.  I have found the deiscipline involved in using large format, and
the natural slowing down that occurs to be very enlightening.  The whole
process has sharpened my eye and reenergized my photography.  I thought that
when I started with LF it might be overly constraining, but I have found the
oposite to be true, it has freed me to see more deeply.  I still shoot
several rolls a week of 35mm film in Leicas (see it's getting back on topic),
and I find that I am seeing those pictures with a fresh eye.  My sense of
composition and  dynamics has improved and become more sophisticated.  I
suggest that you try 4x5 if you have the urge- your photography including
35mm just might improve.  Feel free to contact me off list if you want to
know more.

Richard Wasserman