Subject: Re: [Leica] digital printing -- an amendment re 1270
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 11:01:23 -0400

on 23/7/00 1:34 pm, Dan Post at dpost@triad.rr.com wrote:

> Are you doing the b&w prints using the color inks?
> I saw an interesting site that Tina pointed to- the www.inkjetmall.com
> They have come up with a set of software and ink that makes the Epson prints
> they show as an example quite stunning- they have not gotten that system or
> software set up for the 1270 yet, but it's coming, and from the sample they
> show, it is impressive. They use a 'quadcolor' B&W inkset- with varying
> shades of grey, the software lets the printer print B&W prints from
> grayscale setting, yet uses all the inkjets to get a good gray, and they use
> something other than Epson's dithering to make the prints almost impossible
> to tell from wet process prints- in my opinion.

Yes, that's the Cone Piezography system. I think it's exactly what I'm going
to buy. I don't think, however, that they are likely to get it going on the
1270 due to the design of the carts, but it is due out any moment for the
1160, which is probably what I will get (it currently runs on the 3000,
which is much older technology).

You're right that I make bw prints using color inks... even on the 1270, the
dithering with the black ink is too obtrusive for me. Using color inks the
image is effectively continuous tone, but you cannot help getting some
'crossover' color casts in certain shades.

The Cone system seems to get over these problems. The only real difficulty
is that it doesn't seem to work well on gloss papers.

Incidentally, Epson have offered to buy back the 1270 from me if I want.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com