Subject: Re: [Leica] digital prints again
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:59:35 -0400

on 7/17/00 10:04 PM, Joe Codispoti at joecodi@thegrid.net wrote:

> From: "Dan Cardish" <dcardish@microtec.net>
>
>> I do not allow people to view my photographs with loupes.  I consider it a
>> personal insult when they do.
>

> Erwin's point of view and philosophy regarding the difference between silver
> and digital prints should be considered in order to arrive at the conclusion
> of this discussion.
>
> I think that Erwin looks at the two media strictly as an absolutist - and he
> is right. In the final analysis silver printing is superior to digital. He
> does however agree that digital is perfectly acceptable when not scrutinized
> closely.
> I have no argument on either point.
>
> Digital photography will continue to improve and will surpass silver
> processing in the future. In the mean time there is ample room for both. For
> the romantics and lovers of darkroom work silver will always be the "best
> way".
> For the techno types, for print media, for speed of execution, digital is
> king.
>
> I  have used darkrooms for the past 45 years. I know that Leica (and for
> that matter any other brand)  resolves more detail if printed the
> traditional way, but now have a digital camera, a film scanner and soon will
> have a printer to print what my Leica and other cameras record.
>
> Vive la différence
> Joe

I'm up to 415 messages, just returned from holiday in Maine and forgot to
turn off the spigot of LUG.

This thread about digital printing reminds me of so much of what pours into
this system...are we talking about producing photographs that communicate
the photographer's message or is this about some standard of quality
acheived only in the lab (not the real world).

Everyone strives to acheive quality; however, the higest quality work that
only tells a viewer about the process is not why I have used very good tools
for the last 35+ years.  I have used them to converse with the viewer and if
the tools change(medium) the message is still the important goal for me.

It' s at 725 now....

Happy snaps,

Steven Alexander