Subject: Re: [Leica] toning query
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 11:59:51 -0700

Dave Fisher wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm doing some fibre-base printing this weekend. In the past, I've always
> printed then gone to selenium during the same wet stage before washing, but
> it's awkward. Is it okay to print, wash and dry, then get the whole batch of
> dry prints, and soak and then tone in selenium later, or would LUGgers
> advise against it.
>
> Dave

It's very OK to do it as most people don't have the space to do otherwise.
Many of us call that second stage: second day "Laundry."
You can let your prints soak overnight and the next morning do your second fix;
Selenium Tone, Clear and then I do washing in a series of large trays;
The last tray dumps into the second to last tray. And the first of the three is
standing water after the Hypo clear tray.
This I have to do for my very large prints in my darkroom.
But with an 18 foot sink like i just mentioned I can do a straight line workflow
using multitudinous trays (too embarrassed to mention) and my 11x14 prints are
all loaded into a stack of dryer screens which I made so they are ready for
flattening the next morning; even late evening.
Mark Rabiner
I flatten my fiber prints with two boards and a cobblestone. I mounted handles
on the top board which is not plywood or particle board but a one by twelve. The
cobblestone sits between the two large handles.