Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Digital Printing
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:54:48 +0800

Whatever the theoretical advantages of the traditional printing process
quality wise it is clear that digital printing has arrived for many: the
Magnum 50 exhibition at the Barbican at the beginning of this year seemed to
me about 50% inkjet prints (though I am told when it moved to Paris they had
more traditional prints...)

Likewise Tony Suau's exhibition was all inkjets (special new process by
Ilford, I am told).

If it is good enough for these guys...

OTOH the centrepiece of my portfolio is and is likely to remain a set of
very expensive custom printed colour portraits which surprise even the bloke
that took the photos and pored over the trannies for many an hour...

I think it is entirely practicable to have beautiful inkjet prints for
portfolio and exhibition whilst acknowledging there is always something
better than what you have got (one of the frustrations/appeals of
photography). After all it is not as though all those anti-digitalists are
making platinum prints from 36 negs on every roll...there is the issue of
practicality.

Nevertheless I actually like and enjoy B/W wet printing so that is what I
do. Colour printing in the darkroom I find a stinky and uncongenial activity
and much prefer to get the results I am after by my own digital printing or
farming it out: a nice Lambda print looks pretty good you know...

Rs

Adrian

- --
Adrian Bradshaw