Subject: [Leica] Re-introduction; DC interest
From: welch@pressroom.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:15:48 -0400

Old Lug friends,
A recent correspondence with Harrison has rekindled my interest in the LUG,
where I once hung out but had fallen away due to life's other ceaseless
demands on my time, such as photographing, working in the darkroom,
humoring family and trying to make a living. It's great to see the lively
discussions carry on, and that Tina still keeps everyone straight.

For those of you in the Washington, DC area, I want to put in a personal
plug and suggest or invite you to stop by the Summer Salon, an all-media
juried exhibition at the Ellipse Arts Center in Arlington, Va. The show
opened tonight, and I have three black-and-white images in it. Since this
is a Leica list, I will mention that two were taken with Leicas, M4 and M6,
and the 21mm and 35mm Summicron lenses. The third, I'm afraid, was with my
faithful Rolleiflex.

The center is located at 4350 N. Fairfax Drive, one block west of the
Ballston Metro station on the Orange line. The show runs through Aug. 19.
Critical comments will be welcomed; real critical comments will be tolerated.

I hope to keep reading the LUG for a while, though the message count when I
log in is as daunting as before.  And Tina, I've spent summer weeks at the
SF Workshops too, and found it wonderful and inspiring and memorable. But
you ultimately have to take the critical analysis you get there with a
grain of salt; go with you heart and your vision, and the viewers will
follow. I know such questions, which go to our motives for image making,
can give one pause, but you shouldn't worry about potential gallery
reactions.

Best Regards,

Bill Welch