Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Political Correctness
From: Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:30:16 -0700

I agree that Tina has to eat, but when a photog chooses their  commercial subject
matter,  taking some time to consider how it will be marketed can save a lot of
problems.  Apparently these issues hit her unaware, now she is left with the best
way to handle it, and still make a living.

I advocated a solution (by no means the only solution) for  the problem she set
herself up for.    By Tina's own statements, it  seems unlikely she will get many
exhibitions using what could be interpreted as the "buy a picture of the Honduran
downtrodden so Tina can get your bucks" marketing strategy.

On the other hand, going the donation route, my guess is she will have galleries
calling her, and have a hard time keeping up with the print orders.  A little bit
of a big pie is much more satisfying than all of a nonexistent pie.   In the long
run, the mailing list sales would probably surpass the initial sales -- turning a
lemon into lemonade.

Though you may disagree, I did think about what I wrote.  Whatever she chooses to
do is fine with me.  I wasn't attacking her, I was just offering what I believe to
a  solution to a marketing problem.   To me at least, merely siding with Tina's
initial lack of a successful marketing plan and portraying the gallery owners who
want to make money just as much as Tina, doesn't help her at all.  Following a
"you are wrong" not to show my work strategy with galleries can easily get her a
reputation as someone difficult to work with -- so that the next time she calls
they won't even talk to her.

Stephen Gandy

MicroGrid@aol.com wrote:

> Stephan,
>
> I'm not attacking you here but let's stop and think of what you are
> advocating.
> It seems too steep a price for Tina to have to give up a substantial part of
> her sales as a price to get a show or a book. I think Tina should take the
> photographs, write any captions, and earn any revenue from their sale. She
> can then decide to donate anything she chooses to whomever she chooses.
> I know you have a good heart, but do you sell your classic cameras, and give
> a substantial part of the sale to your favorite charity

the issue is not charity to me, the issue is a way for her to sell her prints.
This route overcomes possible objections to her work, at the time time making her
the caring  photographer who want to help her subjects.  It's smart marketing.