Subject: Re: [Leica] digital prints again
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:04:29 -0700

From: "Dan Cardish" <dcardish@microtec.net>

> I do not allow people to view my photographs with loupes.  I consider it a
> personal insult when they do.

Erwin's point of view and philosophy regarding the difference between silver
and digital prints should be considered in order to arrive at the conclusion
of this discussion.

I think that Erwin looks at the two media strictly as an absolutist - and he
is right. In the final analysis silver printing is superior to digital. He
does however agree that digital is perfectly acceptable when not scrutinized
closely.
I have no argument on either point.

Digital photography will continue to improve and will surpass silver
processing in the future. In the mean time there is ample room for both. For
the romantics and lovers of darkroom work silver will always be the "best
way".
For the techno types, for print media, for speed of execution, digital is
king.

I  have used darkrooms for the past 45 years. I know that Leica (and for
that matter any other brand)  resolves more detail if printed the
traditional way, but now have a digital camera, a film scanner and soon will
have a printer to print what my Leica and other cameras record.

Vive la différence
Joe