Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Erwins comments on Digital Printing
From: Pete Su <psu_13@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:25:20 -0700 (PDT)

I think we have to keep 2 things in mind.

1. Ink jet is not the be all and end all of digital printing.

2. 720dpi is fairly low resolution by today's output standards.

There are several digital print processes that have much higher resolution that
Inkjet, or that print to *photographic* paper (e.g. lightjet). There are even
high end ink jet processes (e.g. Iris) that do better than the consumer
printers. http://www.debenport.com/contents/purchase%20prints.html has a few
high resolution screen shots that show you how much detail is in his prints.

I personally use traditional darkroom to do my black and white, but that's just
because its cheaper and easier for me to do so (I don't have time to learn
Photoshop really well).  If I ever decided to print color, I wouldn't even
consider darkroom. Digital is better, or at least much easier.

But, if you are going to make blanket technical arguments about print quality,
I think people should know about all the posibilities, rather than just writing
off the whole digita arena as useless because of what a $200 consumer device
can do.