Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Slightly OT:Artixscan 1100
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:13:47 -0700

At 9:57 AM +0100 7/16/00, Tim Spragens wrote:
>> From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
>>
>> At 9:54 PM -0400 7/14/00, Isaac Crawford wrote:
>> >    I've been thinking about getting into the digital end of things
>> >    for a while...
>> >
>> >Isaac
>>
>> ... the LS2000. It is
>> particulary in getting information out of the densest areas of a film
>> that the LS2000 has an advantage. The Polaroid 4000 has higher
>> resolution, but the Nikon does better in getting into the shadows, and
>> only the $5000+ flatbeds even start to approach either one of these as
>> far as the dynamic range is concerned.
>
>My Gossen went off recently, causing me to overexpose some
>shots on Ilford 100 by 2-3 stops (brain was disengaged). The Artix
>4000t (SS 4000 actalike) was able to pull detail out of all but the
>darkest areas. Dynamic range isn't the issue here, but the ability to
>push light through the film to the sensors. I haven't seen a positive
>or negative that challenged the dynamic range of this scanner (the
>native software gives an adjustable histogram of the DR). I've only
>been working with it for a few weeks, but have fed it a variety of
>films.
>
>I haven't tried the Nikon, and am not looking for a brand war here.
>

>--
>Tim Spragens
>http://www.borderless-photos.com

I did a couple of days test with both scanners before buying, and have
posted the results here a couple of times. It's in the archives. You don't
go wrong with either scanner, but they vary in their strong points.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com