Subject: [Leica] Your dream M-lens? now VERY OT
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 21:26:23 -0700

At 4:25 PM -0700 7/13/00, Rich Lahrson wrote:
>Hi!
>
>     A 135mm/4 AP0/ASPH/MICRO lens.  This should work on the Visoflex for
>stellar close-ups, it should be a traditional lens type, without floating
>elements to preserve longer working distances from the subject.
>
>    A 75mm/2 lens.  This would be much smaller than the 75/1.4 and yet
>still fast.
>
>    As long as I'm ordering Leitz about, they should re-introduce their
>enlarger.
>
>					Cheers,
>
>							Rich Lahrson
>							tripspud@wenet.net

This post is OFF TOPIC, as there is no Leica adulation. Please treat
accordingly.

I recently got a Canon 100/2.8 micro USM. This is a newly computed lens,
and has a number of innovative features, optically speaking. It is totally
IF, the first macro lens in this range to have that distinction, as far as
I know. Up to now, being IF or having floating elements in an optical
design for a macro lens has usually meant that the optics work like a zoom
lens and reduce the focal length, allowing closer focussing with less
helicoid extension and less effective aperture loss while correcting for
the close focussing. However, as noted in Rich's post, the working distance
usually suffers.

This lens works differently. It does not reduce the focal length, in fact,
it increases it slightly! Working distance is maintained, and the angle of
view stays as narrow as that of a non-floating element lens! A remarkable
achievement. The only downside to this is that the lens starts out, and
stays a rather long 115mm from the mounting flange. A big lens. But put
Canon's new ringlight on it, and macro becomes more direct and more under
control than ever before. Not easier; not with all the options which the
new electronic equipment makes you deal with, but more under control. All
in all, a major achievement, especially optically.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com