Subject: Re: [Leica] Airport X-rays and film inspection
From: "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:40:52 -0700

The best solution I've found after traveling all over the world with large
quantities of film is to remove it from the plastic canisters, line them up
neatly in double Ziplock freezer bags, then place those in lead bags.  I use
the thick Domke bags with the cordura exterior.  Put them right through the
hand baggage xray machines, then hand carry them board.  Most of the time,
the security people never ask for an inspection.

Here's a tip, though:  Place your lead bags on the bottom of the bag being
scanned (i.e., on the conveyor belt side of your bag).  You want the
security people to be able to see some things inside your bag before they
hit the lead bags.  If all they see are the opaque rectangles of the lead
bags, they tend to get curious.  Once in a while, I get into a hurry and
throw a lead bag on top of the compartments of my camera bag.  They ask for
a hand inspection almost every time.

Never had a problem doing it this way, even with multiple scans.  I've gone
through as many as 15+ on a single trip with no discernable effect on ISO
100 film.

- --Jim Laurel
Seattle, WA
http://www.spectare.com