Subject: Re: [Leica] Sumicron 50mm lens cap
From: Andrew Moore <moore@rscs.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 18:08:09 -0400 (EDT)

> Is There a reasonable alternative to the Leica fall off model?

Yes, there is a great alternative (here in the US anyway) to the
useless 50/2 Summicron cap.  If you can't locate one, I have a spare and
I'll be happy to mail it to you.

It's a fat rubber cap, probably used in plumbing, made by Fernco
Inc.  It's called (and labeled):

	1 1/2" QWIK CAP   FERNCO INC.  QC-101

I found mine at my local Home Depot store.  It works as is, but even
better if you round out the inner diameter ever so slightly with a
knife.  It makes the cap slip onto the barrel more easily.  This cap also
protects the barrel from dings and scratches because the cap is so fat.

Leica (or Fernco) should start making it in diameters to match other Leica
lenses.  But then the price would probably go up... This cost only $2.99
if I remember correctly.

- ------

If I bait this message with the right keywords, maybe it'll help someone
searching the archives in the future:

	50/2 summicron lens cap replacement alternative fernco

- --Andrew