Subject: [Leica] SM Lenses: Leica, Nikkor and Canon
From: "SML" <inyoung@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 19:52:11 +0100

Hello,

  Recently lots of people were talking about which lenses are better.  Some
insisted that the Nikkor and the Canon were better than the contemporary
Leica lenses.  The Canon 100/2 and 100/3.5 were two of them that were most
mentioned in favor of the 90/2 Summicron.  These posts led me to do some
in-field comparison with no scientific analysis totally in viewers' point.
I used my M3 with the following Leica screw mount lenses with SM-M adapter;
90/2 Summicron with removable shade, black 85/2 Nikkor, black 100/2 Canon
and black/chrome 100/3.5.  The film was black and white.
  To my dismay, I think I have to agree that the Canon 100 gave better
results than the Summicron.  Actually, my eyes were most pleased with the
Canon, followed by the Nikkor and the Summiron.  I was really surprised that
some of the Canon and Nikkor lenses could produce that excellent images
because I always thought that the Leica was the best no matter what as a
long-time Leica user collector.  I knew that the Zeiss optics had been
always great but....  This simple and mundane test made me sold on some of
the third-party LTM lenses.  Better yet, they are cheaper, much cheaper.  I
cannot wait to see how well the Canon 35/2 LTM have done in Grand Canyon
during the July 4th holidays.

Regards,
David