Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Screw cameras & lenses
From: CamraLuvr@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 21:39:09 EDT

The IIIc - IIIf are truly beautiful cameras indeed.  My recommendations for
the 50mm threadmount lenses are either the Summicron or Elmar.  Both are
collapsible.  I have considered trying the Elmar 3.5 for it's compactness,
but don't know anything about it's picture taking quality.  Leica chose the
Elmar 2.8 to remake in tandem with the Jahre M3, so they evidently think
pretty highly of it.  There is one accessory that I feel obligated to mention
as I can't imagine shooting my IIf without it.  Leave the meter handheld and
save the shoemount for the Leica 50mm finder.  It not only adds interest to
the look of the camera, but the image you see through it is life size.  In
other words, you don't have to close the other eye to view your composition.
It's just like looking at something as you normally do, but you have this
little square frameline in your field of vision.  Only trying it can fully
describe it's beauty.  I even use it on my M3.  Of course it's a little
farther for the eye to travel after focusing through the rangefinder, but
worth it.  I would highly recommend the "practice" (practice practice) of
guessing the subject distance in tandem with hyperfocal setting anyway.  Good
luck and keep on loving those screw mount cameras/lenses,
John London (CamraLuvr@aol.com)