Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Nachtwey
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 01:12:53 -0400

Simon Stevens jotted down the following:

> It's interesting the different perspectives, but this was chilling?

In my mind, yes.  People were being bombed, people were dying, and we were
treating it as though it was just another night at the movies.  If it's not
chilling that you can become that blasé about death, I don't know what is.

> ...thanks largely to those made-for-TV precision Air Force bombing raids

Yeah, that was another of the Greatest Publicity Stunts in history, in my
mind.  Completely removed the public awareness from the carpet bombing that
was going on off camera.

I'm not judging the correctness or appropriateness of this: I just think
that there is more to the story than the image of a nice, surgically clean
war that was promoted in most media.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | Jonesboro, AR; Denver, CO;
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | Washington, DC; Mount Morris, MI.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | Bear arms, or bears harm?