Subject: Re: [Leica] 50/2 Summicron
From: Pitak Chenkosol <pitakc@ee.pdx.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:58:26 -0700 (PDT)

Chris,

Leica just released the new 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-R within a year or two ago.
It does not have an aspheric element in it. I doubt if the 50mm f/2.0 Summicron-M
will get an aspheric element in the near future.

I own a current design lens. It is really good. I love 50mm focal length lenses
and this is one of my favorite. It always finds its place in my camera bag.

If you decide to get the current version lens without a focusing tab, leave the
lens cap in the box. It comes loose too easily. Instead, get yourself a Bower
screw-in lens cap (size 39mm) from B&H. It costs $7.95 and it works much better
for me. I have never lost my lens cap. I screw it back on when I am done using
the lens. Cheap, effective, and does not cost $30.

Pitak