Subject: [Leica] Re: Film - freeze or cool?
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:20:17 -0700

Nathan,

>>No XTOL in my freezer, especially after one day last
week when my wife put a plastic bottle of Coke in the
freezer to cool it down quickly and then forgot about
it...<<

A friend of mine once owned several photo supply warehouses. The warehouse
in Denver lost power one winter. It was a remarkably cold day and the
inside of the warehouse dropped to well below freezing. A vast majority of
the chemicals in storage were destroyed. Only a few suffered from damaged
containers. Different formulas reacted differently. Some separated. Some
chrystalized. This happened about 10-years ago, and as I recall the end
result was quite costly. It was quite an ordeal to deal with all the tech
reps to determine which products were destroyed. Some were obvious. Others
weren't. Only the chemists knew for certain. The only film that suffered
from the freeze was Poloroid film, which obviously contained chemical
packs.

Dave