Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Nachtwey
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:17:10 -0400

Ted Grant jotted down the following:

> Remember CNN TV coverage during the Gulf War? Heck the first night of
> raids, who wasn't mesmerized by the images of the return fire from
> anti-aircraft weapons? It was so surrealistic and very "Hollywood
> looking." How could anyone take it seriously?

I have a rather chilling memory of this.  I was an undergrad living in a
dorm at the time.  A bunch of us had been out at the pub and stumbled home
in the wee hours of the Swedish morning with a serious case of the munchies.
We flicked on CNN to get an update only to be greeted with the first images
of the war.  It was so much like a movie that we kept joking about this.
Out came the popcorn machine (munchies, remember?) and we settled down
infront of the box with a tub-full.  It was just like watching Platoon, or
Apocalypse Now.  After about half an hour we'd sobered up enough to suddenly
realize what it was we were watching: the popcorn got stuck in our throats.

I think that the 'reality TV' trend that has existed the past number of
years hasn't exactly helped either...

M.

- --
Martin Howard                | It never ceases to amaze me how people con-
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU  | sistently pay more attention to *how* you
email: howard.390@osu.edu    | say something, than *what* you say.  (Anon)