Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 purchase: advice sought
From: Nathan Wajsman <belgiangator@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 03:22:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Chris,

> 1. I'd like to know a reputable US Leica dealer from
> whom I can purchase via
> mailorder. (And to my understanding there is no
> taxes for mail order sales
> within the US, is that right?)

Try:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
http://www.donchatterton.com/
http://www.tamarkin.com/

In general there is no sales tax on out-of-state
purchases except in some cases when the shop also does
physical business in your state. But all of the above
are only in their states (New York for B&H and
Tamarkin, I am not sure about Don Chatterton).

> 2. A friend of mine can get me an M6 TTL and 50/F2
> (both black and brand
> new) for about US$2,500 after-tax in Asia. This
> seems to be a bit lower than
> the US prices, but I don't get the passport
> warranty. Is this a good idea?

I just looked at body prices at B&H and Tamarkin, the
M6 is $2000 at B&H (official USA import) and $1700 at
Tamarkin (grey market, with 2-year Tamarkin warranty).
I would personally take the risk and save the $300,
but only you can decide that. But if you do buy from
Tamarkin then you should be able to match the Asia
price you mention.

> 3. What's the consensus opinion on HM vs. non-HM? I
> tend to shoot in the
> 35mm-50mm range. I like the brightness of the HM
> finder and the large 50mm
> framelines. But I don't like the way the 35mm
> framelines look.

I have one of each. The HM is best for 50mm and longer
lenses, the non-HM is best for 35mm and 28mm (for
wider than 28mm you need an external finder anyway).
If you are reasonably sure that you are going to shoot
mainly with 35mm and 50mm, you should buy the non-HM
version. It is more or less a wash with the 50 but
certainly better with the 35, and you save $50-$100 in
the process.

Happy shopping!

Nathan