Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux Made in Canada
From: Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:56:31 -0700

the story as I understand it:

#1 Leica sold Elcan to Hughes in 1990
#2 per sale terms, Hughes agreed to continue making some Leica lenses for five
years, to 1995.  Unfortunately, these lenses do not have "Howard Hughes"
engravings, which collectors would have gone nuts over.
#3 Hughes sold Elcan to Raytheon
#4 not sure if Leica lens production continued past the initial five year period
or not, but at some point in time  lens production was apparently transferred
back to Germany.  Even this may not be entirely true, since we have no way of
knowing if some lens components are still in fact made by Elcan.   I can't  but
wonder how many Leica components can be made in other  countries before the
camera or lens is not allowed to use the coveted "Made in Germany" label.
#5 Elcan continues to be a leader in optical technology, visit
http://www.elcan.com/About_ELCAN/about_elcan.html

Stephen Gandy

Replies: Reply from "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com> (Re: [Leica] Noctilux Made in Canada)