Subject: RE: [Leica] Re:Nachtwey
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:52:51 -0400

OK...the comparison to leonardo was unfair, but how about those turn of the
century (19th, not 20th) photographs taken of what later became Yellowstone
Nation Park (and/or was it Yosemite?).  These photographs on the surface
were merely pretty landscapes, but had a very important impact on the
people who set aside these tracts of land as protected wilderness areas.
Many future generations are benefiting from these photographs.  I believe
that Saint Ansel's impact is similar.

Dan C.

At 04:52 PM 26-06-00 -0400, B. D. Colen wrote:
>No, not at all...pissed off, that is....What I'm talking about is long term
>value and meaning...Forgive me, but I can't think of a photograph that, as
>art, is in the same anything with the work of Leonardo....I guess the bottom
>line is that I see the universal value of photography lying in its ability
>to tell us, and future generations, something about ourselves....
[snip]