Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Nachtwey was Sally Mann, digest V17 #195
From: "Gerry Walden" <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:17:22 +0100

I have met Don McCullin on more than one occasion, and he would be keen to
describe himself as an "anti-war photographer" who is now a disillusioned
man believing that he has failed in his efforts to change the way of wars by
showing their brutality and pointlessness.   I find Nachtways work, in
comparison, to almost glorify in the gore and by presenting it in such a
large coffee table style book to be adding to that glorification.   As for
Sally Mann, I just love what she does and the way she does it - if we can't
freely record those around us in the way with which they are happy, and so
is the photographer, then there is little left in photography for me.

Gerry