Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicas I have seen....in the media
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:56:26 -0700

LUGgers-
I was watching the Biography Channel the other night, a fascinating channel
where you get to learn more than you could ever possibly want to know about
everyone from Attila, The Hun to Zero Mostel!
They had an episode about Jayne Mansfield, who was purportedly intelligent
enough to be a Mensa candidate with an IQ of 163, but was forced by studios
unenlightened in that period into a ditzy blond sexpot image. I was
fascinated, since her death occrred a short while after she had appeared at
a night club here in Greensboro, and at the time, I was an adolescent
fascinated with such exotica!
Anyway- it seemed that everywhere she went, she was followed by
photographers- the forerunners of 'papparazzi', no doubt. The cameras they
used seem to fall into two groups- the Rolleiflex users, almost invariably
using the then ubiquitous Honeywell Strobonar (Remember when you JUST had to
have one?), and what appeared to be M2 or M3s, most WITHOUT flash!
Unfortunately, the Rolleis outnumbered the Leicas by about 2:1! Ah! Those
halcyon days!
I wonder if the Mariska Hargitay that stars in the series "Law and Order:
Special Victims Unit" is her daughter by her marriage to Mickey Hargitay?.
She is very good in the role, comes across as a very bright and sensitve
young police officer, and she has the good looks that might be attributed to
any relation to Ms Mansfield! I hope her career is longer and happier in our
more enlightened times!
Dan ( wandering aimlessly....) Post

Replies: Reply from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> (Re: [Leica] Leicas I have seen....in the media)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Leicaholics Anonymous)