Subject: Re: [Leica] My copyright!
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 21:24:42 -0400

At 12:01 AM 6/25/00 -0700, Rick Dykstra wrote:
>Yes the photo was marked with my copyright and the sales forms state
>this again.

When the local paper printed my photographs without a credit, I simply
contacted them and explained (in a friendly manner) that they had violated
my copyright, outright, as each shot was clearly marked on the back. (In
this particular case.)

In lieu of "payment" or reprinting the omission (thereby calling attention
to their mistake), the editor was quite happy to supply me with an ad space
for a week (they rarely sell all their ad space to it cost them nothing but
a bit of time.) In my line of photography (weddings primarily) this turned
out to be FAR better compensation than the name only credit that I would
have got for a small feature shot.

Staying friendly but professional also set up a good relationship with the
local paper should I ever want to do stringer work again.

Carpe Lumen,
Michael E. Berube
http://www.goodphotos.com