Subject: Re: [Leica] Trip Report - Fog
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 17:57:11 -0400

At 10:07 AM 6/25/00 -0700, Mike wrote:
>That sounds like hand loading fog. If you hand load and don't attach the
>film to the spool in the dark, the last few frames get fogged.
>
>Are you sure the film was fresh from Kodak?

Most of it I ordered it from B&H two weeks before I left and none of it was
hand-loaded.  I did pass it through the hand X-ray machines, but all of my
film was in lead-lined bags - and I would think that any x-ray damage would
occur more on the front of the roll.  Some of the film, I had left in a
refrigerator in Honduras last year.  I didn't mark that film any way so it
could be the year-old film that is fogged.  It was still well within the
expiration date and refrigerated in a sealed plastic bag, but I certainly
won't do that again if I figure out that's what fogged it.

>Was there any pattern to the fog? Was it All black, more on the sprockets,
>sharp edged, tapering off anywhere?

No pattern except that it gets progressively denser from about frame 30 to
the end of the roll.  Sprockets and edges equally fogged.

>Were you using a favorite lens that you took off and switched to another
>body at the end of each roll?

I don't think so.  The fact that it is only the last 5 or 6 frames and only
the TMax 400 would seem to rule out camera or lens problems.

>Puzzles are always fun (even when they hurt).

I'd like to figure this one out so I don't repeat it.  The best shots
always seem to be at the end of the roll!

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com