Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: My copyright!
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@sierratel.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 22:26:47 -0700

Rick Dykstra writes:

|The dilemma for me is not one of high law, it's more one of public
|relations.  I'm the guy who takes the nice photos of the kids each
|Saturday morning.  While I'm keen to tackle a company that's abused my
|intellectual property, I'm not interested in frightening the mum's and
|dad's with a big subpoena.  Gotta think of my customer base, which is
|folks I bump into down the shops, mostly! Or their kids.

>From your postings, I gather that you are trying to build a reputation.  You
might take the opportunity to have a sit down with the newspaper editor and
explain your dilemma.  I am not sure, but I get the impression that the
newspaper is not a major metro one, but rather a small town paper where "names
make news" (and build subscriber base).

You might use this opportunity to cut some type of deal whereby they can use
the photos you submit in return for a byline (is that the correct term for a
photo credit?) and perhaps eventually a gratuity.  Structure an agreement
whereby you get what you want...say a one time use...credit and sock it to
them if they choose to syndicate the photograph.

Some great philosopher said something to the effect of don't take on someone
who buys their ink by the barrel.

BTW, congrats on the Scot contract.

Bill

Replies: Reply from Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au> (Re: [Leica] Re: My copyright!)