Subject: Re: [Leica] Deals we shouldn't oughta have made
From: Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:26:07 -0400

Okay - so here it goes.  This is so stupid (and self revealing) that I wish I
could send it anonymously.

In '77 I must have accummulated two M3's, an M4, an M5 with Noctilux.

I sold or gave away most of the cameras but this story is about the M5.
From '77 to '83, I didn't use this stuff, and by then, I had landed a job as
a lens designer at Leitz Canada, in Midland.  I was surrounded by Leica
bits and pieces.

I left in '86, and my only remaining item was the M5.  I took it to a camera
store to sell on consignment, and they called me telling me that the shutter
had jammed, and that it might cost me $300 to fix.

I took the camera back, and thought - hey - let's take off a few screws and
see for myself.  I mean, I used to look over the assembly drawings at Leitz.
Well, a few screws too many, and I no longer cared if the thing ever got
re-assembled, and it all got put into a box (actually, maybe even the M5 box
itself).

That was a lifetime ago, and now, I am re-assembling that mini-collection,
at what I consider are frightening prices.

..."don't ever give me a set of instrument screwdrivers again"...