Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: B & H Photo & Calumet
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 16:43:49 -0700

At 12:41 PM -0500 6/21/00, Larry Kopitnik wrote:

>I buy a lot from Calumet on-line. They are equally prompt and very
>responsive to seeking out answers. And they do CALL YOU BACK when they say
>they will. I like their web site better than B&H as things are m-u-c-h
>easier to find. And they have everything on the site. B&H does not have
>darkroom equipment on their web site.
><<<<<<<<<<
>
>B&H redesigned and relaunched their web site a few weeks ago. They
>claim it now has every one of the 130,000+ products they carry.
>Darkroom is there. Click on "Photo" on the home page, and the middle
>column of the new page that comes up is the darkroom section, with
>links to 10 darkroom product categories.

I've talked about this new site with Henry Posner already. It is better for
selling stuff quickly, if you know what you want, but it lacks the
usefulness of the old site to research stuff. Related items are often far
apart and not linked in any way on the new site. If you are attempting to
get an item with related accessories you will likely miss something if you
are not fully prepared beforehand. Why are lenses not linked to the camera
they fit, if they are the same brand?? The search page is poorly designed,
and makes you use it a couple of times before you are actually able to do a
real search, and often it doesn't find stuff it should. The old site had
far fewer of their available items, but the organisation of the site was
far superior, IMHO. Also, Henry's nice links page is MIA.

The old site was interesting to go to to get information, which you could
combine to buy something. The new site has a true 'Noo Yahk camera store'
feel.... Go in, buy something, or else get out and make way for the next
guy who already has his credit card in hand.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com