Subject: Re: [Leica] E-Bay Advise
From: Ebert Steele <k5cad@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:31:24 -0500

Pilot E-Mail wrote:

> I pass on my Goof.
> I picked up an M3 from E-Bay.... [snip]

> The prongs on the end  of the rewind shaft engage
> but slip when turned.....[snip]

> Has any one on the List experienced this problem and if so what is the
> solution?
> The next time I will not trust the sellers statement.
> HELP
> Major Waechter
> PS, What is the best place in the North East for an M3 repair?

Major,

Last question first: Sherry Krauter has saved my butt twice. I
think most everyone on this list will speak kindly of her.

Sherry Krauter Golden Touch Quality Camera Repair

118 Purgatory Road
Campbell Hall, New York 10916
914-496-8834
krauter@warwick.net

I have no opinions about your mechanical problem.

I do about eBay, however. Most sellers one eBay are not sensitive
to the subtleties which make for a good description of used photo
stuff, Leicas especially. A few are, sure. But most of them use
vague terms and don't understand that small things make a
significant difference. For example, ask one of them to describe
a rangefinder contrast. The answer will be quite subjective.
In most cases I will not bid unless they will honor iEscrow. Then
you get a new seller with 0 or very little feedback sometimes
wearing shades that won't honor iEscrow and expects you to send
him a check for $500 simply because he is the seller. Some how or
another, on eBay, God, morality, honesty, and integrity all
reside with the seller.

20 years ago, Jim Kuehl would Fed Ex you a lens with an invoice
that he knew wouldn't be paid until you got back home a week
later. So I guess it just the times, not eBay.

I look forward to Friday FS on this list. All my transactions
here have been great. Couple of old soreheads here but I would
trust them. I do wish Takeshi Hashimoto had stuck around though.
I liked him.

Ok, got it out of my system.

Steele