Subject: RE: [Leica] misloading with the rapidwinder
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:00:30 EDT

 I state in the "instructions" that accompany the Rapidwinder (enclosed at
the bottom of this e-mail) that I have never had a problem with loading using
the Rapidwinder with or without the basket. Loading any M camera the key is
to check that the film engaged in the sprocket-drive of the camera. The
multiflange "tulip" is not strong enough to pull the film out of the
cassette, particularly with some high-speed films where the felt-trap is
squeezed tight. I always fold the end of the film when sticking it into the
"tulip" and that ensures that it will catch on an edge of the "petals". What
I have found is that some of the modern, thin-emulsion films have a very
slippery surface and an exceedingly flexible base and that these films can
create problems by not providing enough "stickiness" (Tech-Pan, Delta 100,
Tmax). The older films have a base that will retain a crimp or fold and stay
in the take-up. There is an added culprit here in the form of the spring that
is located inside the "tulip" take-up spool. If this spring is to low in the
take-up spool, it will push the film down and can push the film away from the
catching part of the tulips petals. This is the one time when the plastic
roller can help as it prevents the film from slipping off the sprockets and
sliding out from the take-up spool. My rule is to always check that the film
is secure on the sprockets, advance once with the back open to check that the
film is moving, close the back and do one or two blind exposures whilst
checking that the film-rewind crank turns. A simple trick for that is to put
a white piece of tape on the folding crank of the rewind, or painting the
flange of ½ the rewind crank red or white. This will then serve as a visual
confirmation that the crank is indeed turning as it should.

Tom A

Below is a copy of my cover letter/instructions for my M6 Rapidwinder
customers:

"Dear  xxx,

 Here is your  Rapidwinder M6. To use it just load the camera as usual and
put on the Rapidwinder. Do not push it all the way on, until you have lightly
pulled on the film advance, either the lever at the bottom of the Rapidwinder
or the regular one on the camera. You will feel when the drive pin catches
the camera's drive and then you can push the Rapidwinder all the way on and
lock it by turning the lock at the bottom of the Rapidwinder until the two
dots are aligned.
There is very little maintenance required of the Rapidwinder. Every 2-3
months or 150-200 rolls put a drop of oil down along the driveshaft (it will
slowly drip down on the drive) and if you wish, put some oil on a cotton tip
(Q-tip) and insert it in the slot at the bottom of the Rapidwinder and run it
along the track. The Rapidwinder is built to take a lot of use and the
housing is extremely strong.
As with any mechanical device, I recommend that you use a Rapidwinder on one
specific camera  body and allow the body and the Rapidwinder to "wear" in. It
usually takes 10-15 rolls of film to smooth out the combination
body/Rapidwinder.
I hope you will enjoy your Rapidwinder. I would certainly love to hear from
you again with your opinion on it!
With best regards,

Tom Abrahamsson
#203-1512 Yew Street, Vancouver, BC, V6K 3E4, Canada
Tel: 604-731-0036
Fax: 604-731-0868
E-mail: TTAbrahams@aol.com
www.rapidwinder.com

Instructions regarding the need to use the "Film Roller" (plastic wheel)
which comes with your original baseplate: