Subject: Re: [Leica] OK...money where my Leica is.
From: Paul Chefurka <chefurka@home.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 15:39:45 -0400

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 01:33:30 -0400, "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos"
<meb@goodphotos.com> wrote:

>But is it art?
>
>Comments, Critiques?

To me they look a bit self-conscious.  Not the subjects, but the
images themselves.  It may be due to the anonymity of the
participants, maybe the contrast of the images, maybe the posing.

The large graphic forms coupled (sorry :-) with the contrast removes
the images from the purely human (emotional?) realm, and objectifies
both the people and their activities.  It may be this objectification
that some find disturbing - I know it disturbed me - and causes the
pictures to be identified as porn rather than a more straightforward
sexual relationship between lovers.

Is it art?  Images like this could be viewed as art, but only within
the context of a larger body of work.  To consider these pictures, in
isolation, as art, I'm pretty sure one would have to be from New York
City.  Certainly they wouldn't be identified as such in a camera club
competition :-)

FWIW, I enjoyed the exercise of looking at them.  I like pictures that
make me ask why I responded to them as I did.  My own efforts in this
vein were very different in tone, and seeing a similar subject
approached so differently is always good for a bit of introspection.

Paul Chefurka