Subject: [Leica] Re: 35-70/2.8 out of production ???
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:25:18 -0400

Quoth Mark Rabiner:
>The concept of a 35-70 fixed 2.8 being a gentlemans zoom not as big and
>bulky as
>one extending to 28 or even 105 and perhaps having a quality advantage is
>going
>out if it ever was in.

I've got a Vivitar Series 1 35-85 f/2.8 (non-variable aperture) for my
minolta SLR kit. (Small m bodies, AF gives me hives.) Other than it being a
really BIG (67mm Filter) one-touch zoom (I prefer two step constant focus)
it is the BEST lens that I've ever owned for the applications that I put it
to. (my limited Leica lenses included.)

I will respectfully disagree with Mr. Gandy here and say that, depending on
your mission, this is the perfect range. I shot with an MD 35-70 f/3.5-5.6
for years before getting the larger, consistently faster Vivitar. A
35-70/2.8 is a lens that I would love to buy for the Leica SLR system that
I will build after I get my M system completed.

Of course, my primary use for a zoom in this range is Weddings, which I
understand are generally feared and/or reviled by your average LUGger. I
haven't had much call for wider than 35 or longer than 70 for my average
wedding. When I do, I have fixed lenses that fill those needs. This shorter
range is not as consumer oriented as a 28-300 zoom, but it's made me a lot
of money by satisfying my clients needs for 15 years. So it has worked for me.

Carpe Lumen,
Michael E. Berube
http://www.goodphotos.com

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: 35-70/2.8 out of production ???)