Subject: [Leica] Opinions on Leicaflex + SL SL2
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:58:46 -0500

Richard,
Bud gives excellent advice.

My two bits:  The SL is the best choice if cost is a factor.  The SL2 is the
best alternative based on screen desirability.  Its  screen features a central,
split image rangefinder, a microprism collar, and a ground glass surrounding
area.  The ground glass is excellent for macro and long lens use.  The
microprism in both the SL and the SL2 darken with long lenses, but the
surrounding screen - fine microprism on the SL and ground glass in the SL2 - are
still good.  In the Leicaflex, the central microprisn area darken unacceptably
with the longer lenses (I have experience with the 400 Telyt), which, since the
central microprism is the only focusing area of the screen, makes this model
unusable.  In defense of the Leicaflex, which was my first Leica purchase, it
has excellent ergonomics - the best of all of the Leica reflexes,  and the
clarity of the view through the focusing screen with the wide angles normal,
shorter telephotos, and faster long  telephotos is unequaled.  When the lighting
is sufficient, and the view is in focus, the screen is crystal clear, color
perfect and brilliant, and offers an excellent image for composition.  The
fineness of the microprisms in the central focusing area is hard to use in dim
light and with wideangles.   My sharpest hand held pictures have been taken with
this  machine.  The SL, which I also own, is very similar in ergonomics, but is
slightly larger, and not as comfortable for me to hold as the Leicaflex.  The
screen on the SL has a slightly bluish cast, but is bright, and very easy to
focus.

Words of caution:  The Leicaflex lenses have only one cam, and will not activate
the meter cam  on the SL and SL2.   The two cam lenses necessary for the SL will
work on the Leicaflex and SL2.  The SL2 will mount all of the Leica reflex
lenses, whereas the Leicaflex and the SL will not.  Three lenses that fit the
SL2 and subsequent models but will not work with the Leicaflex and SL2 are the
15mm f3.5 Super Elmar-R, the 16mm f2.8 Elmarit-R, and the first Minolta made
zoom lens in the 80-200 range.  There might be more recent lenses that also will
not work.

And to come full circle:  You can buy two or three SLs for the price of one SL2.