Subject: [Leica] Techniques Please?
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de (Hans-Peter.Lammerich)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 23:37:36 +0200

Honestly speaking, I get surprisingly good development and prints from HP5+, APX
400 and Tri-X from my local drugstore. The main downside is there one week
turnover for black and white which is, however, still better than Kodachrome. I
contacted their contract lab, but they were not wiling to reveil any details on
the developing technique except: Agfa roller processors, a standard developer
combined with a fine grain developer at 21.5 C° and 3'30". I believe they use
Agfa Refinal M which is a compensating developer tailored for machine
processing.

I even tried Tmax 400, Delta 400, Neopan 400 and 1600. To my great surprise,
only the Tmax 400 was superior in grain and sharpness to the HP5+, at the cost
of higher contrast of course. The negs look great, but apparently are difficult
to print. Despite the Delta's and Neopan's reputation of being more forgiving to
developer choice, time and temperature the results were disappointing: more
grain and more contrast than the HP5+.

I rated the Neopan 1600 at ASA 1200 and the results look overexposed. I used
only one roll to take some shots in a Jazz club under difficult, high contrast
light conditions: spot lights on the artists and dark background. So I do not
want to make general statements about film/development quality. But my feeling
is that it is not worth the hassle. Better stay with HP5+ and rate at ASA 400.

In terms of consistency, the results from that lab should be better than an
amateur's home processing. Do some test rolls, find a matching preferably a
"traditional" film and enjoy the results.

Hans-Peter

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Techniques Please?)
Reply from Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> ([Leica] Re: Techniques Please?)
Reply from Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> ([Leica] Re: Re: Techniques Please? D3200)