Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Alternative Formats to 24X36mm (long)
From: ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 21:14:53 EDT

Funny, the M6 seems plenty modern to me. I do like a built-in light meter.
I've  owned and used an  M3 and M4 and I like the M6 much more. I also like
it's mechanical perfection. Unlike a Hasselblad, 503 CW, the camera I was
considering,  the M6  is very quiet and smooth. The Rollei is also quiet and
smooth, and has a built-in light meter. I respect the Hasselblad, but
mechanically it seems positively agricultural; sort of archaic.  Lot's of
noise, a snooze waiting for the mirror to return;  the bolt-on motor drive on
the 503CW also seems crude. The Rollei's mirror comes back quickly.  As for
autofocus, it comes in handy now and then but mostly I don't get the focus I
want or need. You have to focus yourself, (and think) to get that. What's
more, the MF autofocus cameras I've looked at are much to slow to be of real
value. Now if Leica were to add an autoexposure option it really would enter
the modern age. Arthur