Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Chechnya Off Topic Thought....
From: ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 15:43:39 EDT

If Chechnya were to achive independence from Russia, there would be dozens of
other minorities/ nationalities wanting to follow. None of them have any use
for Moscow. Chechnya was the place where  mother Russia made its stand over
what remains of its empire. Can you really imagine them doing otherwise? At
the same time, the U.S. has tacitly gone along with Russia in this, as it has
with all the other Russian shenanagins . Are we aware that Russia is in the
hands of organized crime? You bet. Do we know that virtually  every cent of
foreign aid/foreign loans to Russia has left the country for private accounts
in foreign banks?  We do. Apparently we are committed to Russian stability,
what ever the cost, as preferable to the alternatives. That makes it too bad
for Chechnya.