Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V17 #140
From: "asparaco" <asparaco@metafour.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 06:42:43 -0500

> Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:53:41 -0700
> From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodachrome
>
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> > i suppose you have earned the rank of "infamous"
> > pissing off the lugnuts and and receiving a personal
> > admonishment from  guru e putts.
> >
> > keep up the good work
> > regards,
> > asparaco/chicago
>  but can you take or make a picture?<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> Hello Mr. Scarpitti,
> I haven't followed the Kodachrome thread simply because I stopped using
> it at least 10 years ago or more, although I had been an avid user of it
> for many many years.  But when it became a problem of turn around time
> from the Kodak lab and the availability of improved E6 films that
> basically gave an equal opportunity of image, I dropped it.
>
> Kodachrome was. is and as long as Kodak continue to make it, not much
> longer I believe, a very fine film. However, the consequences of time
> and delivery have made it a non functional film for those of us who
> truly earn our living taking pictures, certainly when deadlines are of
> the essence.
>
> I suppose if I were a happy snapper and didn't rely on my photography
> for my livelihood I might still be using kodachrome, although given the
> beautiful slide films of today it seems almost passé to even think of
> shooting KR.  Yep it still looks very nice when I rummage through some
> of the thousands of slides filed away here, but that wont change me back
> to KR.

> > pissing off the lugnuts and and receiving a personal
> > admonishment from  guru e putts.<<<<<<<<
>
> I'm not sure whom you are referring to in the above comment,  but I find
> it very ungentlemanly of you to make such a,  should I say, "derogatory
> open ended"  comment without having the personal fortitude of addressing
> it directly to the person or persons you are referring to.
>
> Damn unsportsmanlike of you and leaves one to question your credibility
> as a photographer and person! Very unfortunate.
>
> I suppose it might even be appropriate to ask you your own question,  >>
> " but can you take or make a picture? " <<<<<  See that wasn't so hard
> to address it to the person I'm discussing this matter with.  Maybe you
> should try it some time.  Thank you.
> regards,
> ted

Well howdy Ted so nice to hear from you.
1)The email that Mr. Scarpitti -"Mr. Small Shoes" posted was a private
posting to him from me. He choose to post it on the list.
After reading the constant pillaring he receives on the lugnut list I wanted
to encourage him because it nice to read a different view, in fact any view
or prospective from the half dozen or so folks who monopolize the list.
2)The reference toMr Puts refers to a posting by Mr. Puts to Scarpitti on
the Kodachrome list so you would have to be on that list to understand it-
Mr Puts apparently considers the Kodachrome List more valuable then this
one-although I don't speak for him.
3)The rhetorical question -"but can you make or take a picture" was directed
to and answered by Mr. Scarpitti  "Yer damn right I can since 1964" I
thought because of his obvious passion and enthusiasm he was a young person,
he is apparently young at heart.
4) Any other questions, Ted?   Gosh my self worth hasn't been questioned
lately. As to whether I can take or make a picture the best indicator are
the checks that come in the mail rather frequently and for rather large
amounts.

Still enjoy your book Ted, keep it in the lobby now so the messengers and
auditioning talent have something to look at while waiting.

regards,
aspirator/Chicago

keep up the good work Mr Scarpitti

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V17 #140)