Subject: Re: [Leica] Advertures with the R8
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:52:42 -0500

Levi,

>As longs as it's an R! No N stuff!

Yes, I was  Nikon SLR person from the first F to the F4 and most everything
in between.  I didn't like the feel of the AF lenses.  The R8 has a lot of
the feel of the F4 when used manually.  However, I lost most of a trips
pictures with the F4 when the ASA setting inadvertently moved and I didn't
know it until after the trip and the blacker pics came back.  The Leica R
lenses - super!!!

>The 19... You do get lost in the view but... one can juggle the
transparency of the RF with the thrill of the 19 view. And indeed that
slide (almost forgot!)looks like it did - precisely. Not because of
experience and predictability of the lens but because of what I saw in
real-time*. It's not a comment on the situation but a 19 view of it! *And
the photo is essentially also that view, however irrelevant. The 100APO -
is also... BIG! Keeps me($)from that 90APOASPHS! Barely.

I had  the 100 APO at one time and loved it.  However the 80/1.4 works for
me.  I once shot the same pic with the 100 and the 80 and found very little
difference between them (non-macro) plus two more stops.

>But the M6 and 50 summicron?  Why do I not seem able to take that 50 off?
And both off of me?  This is just unsurpassed. It's actually hard to use
anything else at all. Results?  What does it matter?  The 50 is more of an
extension that a tool. I'll get another body and  just glue that 50
summicron on there.

I felt that way about the M6 and 35/1.4 asph.  Used it for almost
everything and the 90/2.8 once in a while.  I could get along with the 35
and the 75/1.4, but I see better with the 80/1.4-R

>Also - the R8/R7 thing is not right. I just feel stupid with that thing on
me, however good it is, and it is.

I understand what you are saying - I wish that I could afford both systems.

Take care,

Dick Hemingway
Plano, TX

Replies: Reply from "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] Advertures with the R8)