Subject: Re: [Leica] Tripod for the R8
From: "Robert Stack" <ticino@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 18:03:13 -0500

Greetings to all.
I would like to introduce myself as a newer member of the LUG.  I started
observing the dialog a week or so ago during the "discussion"
over the cost/value relationships between Leica/N****/C****/Etc.  That was
quite an introduction
to the LUG, during which I managed to stick both feet directly in my
mouth on one or two occasions (In answer to one query - no I am not Eliot
Ness).  I have been using Leica M and Rs for 5
years now.  I was converted from N**** when comparing the
results of slides taken by my N**** and a loaned R-5 (forgot the lens used).
When using a Kodak projector, there was little difference to my eye, but an
extraordinary difference when seen through a Leica projector.  Been hooked
thereafter.  I use  an R-8 and an M-6 with 4 lens in each kit, covering a
range from 21mm to 180 with a 1.4 APO extender.  I use the R-8 primarily for
landscape work and the M primarily for hand held work.  I do all my own
printing on a V35 with dichroic head, and use black and white materials
almost exclusively.  Hope I can add a few insights from time to time based
on my experience in these areas.  Now to the thread at hand.
Gerry, for the past year and half, I have been using a plate manufactured by
Kirk Enterprises for the R-8 mounted on an Arca Swiss "Monoball" head.  The
plate is a quick release type that uses a flange located at the back of the
plate to prevent side torque of the camera body.  I have found the
combination to be very secure, even with the 180 and 1.4 extender in a
vertical position.  It also provides very positive and precise lens
movements I require for landscape work.  The plate fits a claw type quick
release, so it should be useful on a wide range of heads, but I have no
direct experience.  The only draw back I have found is
the flange can rub the back of the camera's bottom plate, causing a little
wear if not seated properly when attaching.  Hope this is helpful.
Bob Stack