Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux and natural light
From: Harrison Mcclary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 13:50:37 -0500

once upon a time Tina Manley wrote:

>> The nice thing of shooting by available light means they look like what
>> the real world is all about, natural as we see it.  And not blown away
>> with, dare I say it?  "Flash!"  This in turn gives an exposure all
>> right, but totally destroys the natural moment as we were motivated in
>> the first place.
>>
>> ted
>
> Amen, Ted!  I couldn't have said it better myself.

Well.....sometimes one HAS to use flash.  About 2 years ago I was hired
through Black Star to do some photos in a DANA plant for INC Technology
magazine.  I got there with my assistant and a truck full of lighting gear.
I walked around the plant looking at the beautiful orange lights (being
sarcastic here folks) and was figuring on how many lights each shot was
going to take.  I used every strobe I own and was wishing I had more.

The entire time I was there the Plant manager kept saying "I don't know why
you are having to take all of these photos we just had someone here last
month and they shot all this stuff.  They had sent these photos to the
magazine but they did not like them.  I kept talking to them about what had
been shot because I did not want to get similar stuff if the magazine photo
editors did not like them.  Well after we had done 2 or three shots one of
the plant guys volunteered that the other shooter had not used any lights at
all.  My assistant and I looked and each other and said ah....now we know
why they did not like those photos.

DANA ended up buying some of my shots from Black Star for their Annual
Report.....available light ain't always the way to go.
- --
Harrison McClary
http://www.mcclary.net

Replies: Reply from Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Noctilux and natural light)