Subject: Vs: [Leica] 35 mm summicrons/summarons/others
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 00:21:47 +0200

Hah! According to all tests I have seen the 35 mm per-ASPH Summicron is "excellent" - e.g. the notion that the non-ASPH Summicron is not sharp is not reliable. A late model Summicron should clearly outperfom any Summaron and an early Summicron should also be better than any Summaron - but apertures smaller than f:16 are not very good with either of these (according to Modern Photography test of both in Photo Buying Guide 1979). A late pre-ASPH model Summicron is excellent at all apertures, both center and edge. An ASPH is even better - I wish I could afford one - and I will.
All the best!
Raimo
photos at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen