Subject: Re: [Leica] street photography
From: rnkramer@mindspring.com
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 10:59:18 -0400

- -----Original Message-----

>From: Bmceowen@aol.com
>Subject: Re: [Leica] street photography

>2.) Do street photographers ever consider approaching someone they find
>interesting and simply asking, "can I follow you around for a few minutes
and
>shoot some photos?" I bet they'd be amazed at the photos they could get
this
>way . . .

Thought I would add a couple of comments to your second question as well.
Much of the power of good street photography is due to the immediacy of the
encounter.  The image is suddenly there and must be grabbed NOW or it is
gone forever.  And no amount of following someone around will recreate that
intense one moment in time.

I certainly agree that it is possible to take very nice photos by gaining
the consent of someone and hanging out with them to get photos of whatever
it is they are doing.  Mary Ellen Mark has a good series photos -- I think
she did a book on it -- of prostitutes in New Delhi.  And who isn't moved by
Larry Burrows' images from the day he spent with that helicopter gunner and
his crew in Viet Nam?  But it ain't street photography, and SP has a power
and a validity in its own right.

SP shouldn't be about sneaking around, and maybe some people who give it a
go might produce more interesting photos by taking your advise.  But some of
the most powerful photos of the twentieth century would not exist if
*everyone* followed your suggestion.  All photographers should IMO simply be
true to their own vision and follow it to the best of their ability, without
regard to whether it fits the notions of what someone else thinks
photography ought to be.  'Cuz if you don't follow the path you are *moved*
to follow, the results probably won't be worth printing.

Just use your Leicas while doing it!  There, got it a bit OT.  ;-)

Bob Kramer