Subject: Re: [Leica] NYC impressions (long)
From: ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 09:10:14 EDT

In the 35 years that I've lived in lower Manhattan, I've never seen anything
like this. This place is booming! New hotels are going up all over town, as
are new "luxury" rental apartments. The resturants are full, and there's lots
of them. The traffic is so bad that taxi drivers don't want to go across
town, much less uptown. It has become soooo safe here. I haven't been mugged
for 20 years. But now only the most unlucky are victims of violent crime.
Problem is, you have to be way wealthy to live here now. My first apartment
here was $50 a month back in 1964, and I could have had others from $36.
These days, $1500 gets you an absolute hovel, if you can find one!  It was
wonderful back in the old days when anyone and everyone could afford to live
here-- now that was dynamic. I can't imagine how anyone can come here now
starting out, unless they have a job in investment banking  or a nice  fat
trust fund. A recent NYT article said that the averagte income of families on
the eaast side of Central park was about $400,000.  There must be at lest 100
galleries that regularly show photography, and you can buy a Baldus or an
Atget within minutes of the thought entering your mind. It's strange, to say
the least.